Thursday, August 06, 2009

The Gospel According to Chocolat

In our current "Power of Holy Habits" sermon series (on the "Means of Grace" as "Means of Intimacy with God"), I struggled for a handle which would help us to get in touch with the spirit (or Spirit?) of Holy Communion. There was a handout with all sort of heady guides and instructions, but now, as we approached the table, I wanted our hearts engaged.

Of course, my heart and mind were drawn to the movies -- my "art" of choice. First to mind was "Babbett's Feast," a beautiful and powerful foriegn film about a woman who cashes it all in to spread a feast in the midst of a community of religious legalists. The meal is liberating for all!

Subtitles a burden... and other things hard to condense into a timely video, my mind turned to a kindred (and more recent... and more managable) film in Chocolat:

It's the story of a fresh wind blowing in a stagnant village.

It's the story of a new spirit coming to a villaged seeped and trapped in legalism -- a spirit who seeks their freedom.

In the face of defiance, this liberator throws a feast -- eating with sinners and seeking their release from captivity.

And, on the other side? There's dancing and rejoicing and hugging and reconciliation.

I took liberty to make the legalist scenes and characters black and white, I admitted to the 11 o'clock crowd. It was my way of making a point about legalistic existence. Don't know if I tampered too much or not. However, if you'll allow me that freedom, I'd ask you to ride with the "poetry": namely, the Gospel at the heart of Holy Communion seeks to free us from our black and white existence... and release us in to a full color existence!

I hope you enjoy this montage video as much as I enjoy my attempts at being an artist through video media...


No comments:

Post a Comment